I'm so behind on this little blog of mine and I feel like I have so much to tell y'all! I of course have set some little goals for myself for 2014, but first I want to update how my 2013 goals turned out.
1. Run 1000 miles: I ended up with 705 miles. But that's with about 9 weeks of no running thanks to that pesky stress fracture. Obviously I can't count that as reaching my goal, but I'm okay with it.
2. Sub 30 5K: Goal accomplished! My official time came in at 28:49, after several failed but so close attempts.
3. Sub 2:30 half: Goal accomplished! Official time came in at 2:24:40 and this was on that stress fracture that was yet to be diagnosed so I'm really happy with that!
4. No Snooze button: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'll just leave it at that and note to myself to never make that a goal again.
5. Pay It Forward: I really didn't do as well with this as I would have hoped. There is room for improvement here but I feel good knowing that I didn't completely slack on this goal.
6. Better Blogging: I'm still not where I want to be with this goal but I have to say this blog has given me so many opportunities in the past year. I've made so many friends and I've gotten to work with amazing companies. I can't wait to see what this year brings!
Now it's time to discuss the goals for this year. Some of these goals I thought long and hard about, and some of them came to me easy. I love setting goals, but I also hate failing (see the above Snooze Button Goal Disaster of 2013). With that in mind, I have made personal/family goals and of course running goals.
1. Do one load of laundry and dishes daily: I'm notorious for letting dishes pile up, mainly because I hate emptying the dishwasher. But I figure, if I do a load daily, even if it's a smaller load, I can stay caught up. Right? Same goes for the laundry. So far I've been doing a really good job with this so I hope to continue throughout the year.
2. Unplug: My job makes it really hard to unplug completely. There is always something going on that needs my attention and I know I can't get away from the pharmacy completely, nor do I really want to. But my husband and girls deserve my undivided attention, and I will make them a priority when I get home from work. And as much as I love social media, I need to do a better job of not worrying whose instagram picture I might be missing.
3. Food Journaling: I have some moderate GI issues from time to time that I want to finally figure out. I don't think they are that serious to where I need to go to the doctor, but I think I can narrow them down by journaling what I eat (or drink). Unfortunately, I have a feeling where this will head but I'm not ready to admit it (hint: Starbucks).
4. Personal Upkeep: This is a weird one but I got it Debi-approved, so I feel okay sharing this goal with y'all. My wardrobe pretty much consists of scrubs and running clothes. I don't wear a lot of makeup and I rarely do my hair. I want to make more of an effort this year in looking, well, cuter. I think making a hair appointment to fix my #unintentionalombre may be the first step, and a trip to Sephora.
5. Meal Plan: It's no secret our weeks are so much easier when I meal plan. Knowing what's for dinner each night helps to avoid the dreaded "what do you want for dinner, I don't know, What do you want for dinner?" routine.
6. Send birthday cards: I know it's easy to text but I always love getting an actual card in the mail. My goal is to sit down every month and figure out birthdays for the month and send cards!
7. Get the girls kindergarten ready: This is a scary goal but I want them to be ready. I think my girls will be ready but I want to use my days off to help them in any way I can. Luckily I have some friends that are teachers, so I'll be using them as resources!
1. Run a Sub-28 minute 5K: That current PR of 28:49 is begging to be crushed. I'm no speedster but I think if the situation is right, I could do it. I also think that's not too crazy of a goal to shed 50 seconds of my PR.
2. Run a Sub-2:15 half: This one sounds slightly scarier. My half PR of 2:24:40 was not too hard to achieve and it was even run on a stress fracture, but averaging a 10:18 pace would be tough I think. Nonetheless, I'm not one to shy away from a challenge.
3. Run a Sub-8 minute mile: I'm too lazy to look back and figure out what my current mile PR is but it's in the 8's. I want 7's.
4. Journal each run: I got one of the Believe I Am Training Journals and I want to consistently journal my runs. I want to be able to look back at the end of the year and see how I've improved as a runner.
5. #HeroesRun365: This is the big goal for 2014 and because of that, I want to give it it's own blog post so stay tuned. If you follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, you may have already seen some posts!